Sunday, October 12, 2008

Parenting epiphany at the pumpkin patch

It's funny how sometimes we can have a valuable learning experience in an unexpected situation. Last week, I went with Sophie's class on their Pumpkin Patch field trip. We had a hay ride and saw lots of cool animals, and the kids got to pick pumpkins to keep. There was also a place for them to play with swings, hay stacks for climbing, and a small hay maze. Sophie loved the hay maze and kept going in again and again. Here is my lesson learned:

The first time Sophie went into the maze, she didn't have any trouble at all finding her way through. She maneuvered it easily, making her way quickly toward the exit. I thought that surely she would have more fun if she spent some more time exploring it first, so I encouraged her away from the exit and back into the maze. She walked around a little bit more before going back to the exit.


Then she wanted her assistant teacher to go through it with her, so she led and Betty followed. Again, Sophie went straight through the maze, but before going out the right way, she turned and went the same way that I had encouraged her to go before ... and she got lost. The third time she went through the maze, she was headed the right way, then turned again at that spot and had to find her way out.

So, here is my lesson learned from this experience: My kids watch everything I do, and they want to follow in my footsteps. I need to be careful where I lead them!! Also, even though Sophie was on the right path, it only took one little wrong turn to get her all turned around and confused. How easily we are led astray!

Maybe now that I have written this, I can stop feeling guilty about it!

2 comments:

Britt Family said...

Sophie is getting so big!! I just love her hair getting so long in a pony tail!! She is just adorable!!

Camilla said...

Yeah, don't feel too guilty--it was just a pumpkin patch, but it does illuminate the importance of moms!