Monday, May 12, 2008

A funny story...

So, if you don't know already, I'll go ahead and admit it: I'm a terrible housekeeper. There is currently clutter all over the kitchen counters and a pile of clean, not-yet-folded laundry on the couch. And that is where my story begins...

It was Saturday night, the night before Mother's Day. I was singing the kiddos their bedtime songs, and Wes said that he was going to go to the store to pick up a couple of items we would need for Sunday. I finished getting the kids to bed and came out to the kitchen, where I checked my email and wasted a few minutes doing NOTHING important. After about 45 minutes, I started to wonder what was taking Wes so long at the store. I tried to call his cell phone, and it was off. I thought that was strange, because he had told me to call him with any extra shopping-list additions, so I looked outside. His truck was IN THE DRIVEWAY! I searched the yard, I searched the house, I looked EVERYWHERE, and he was nowhere to be found. I called out to Lillie, who was still awake, to ask if she had seen him and she said no. I went back outside to look again and was just starting to panic when Wes ... came OUT of the house!

When I finally got it all straight, I found out that this is what had happened: Wes had come out to the living room when I was singing, and he hid under the clean clothes (note to self: FOLD!!), where he was planning to jump out and surprise me when I came down the hall. The snag in his plan was that he was so warm and comfy that he fell asleep! He was on the couch, under the clothes the whole time! He only woke up when he heard me asking Lillie if she had seen him.

Luckily, my Mother's day got better after that! :)

3 comments:

N. Cooper said...

LOL! I thought you were going to say he surprised you by cleaning the whole house. Failed prank instead -- didn't see that coming!

- nat, avoiding work

Camilla said...

Funny-- glad I have a fellow companion who slacks on cleaning duty. At least the clean clothes were not in the dryer. . . . that's where we keep ours.

Marci said...

I can't tell you how many times I fell asleep in a pile of warm laundry when I was a kid. I can't say that I blame him.